Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Apple, banana, buckwheat pancakes

I can't believe i haven't posted these yet... they are my all time favourites! I have always loved pancakes, my mum used to make us banana fritters with really ripe bananas and give them to us dripping in honey. The bananas would go caramelised and they were all gooey and sweet. I think her secret was that she would pretty much deep fry them and used super ripe bananas. I have adapted them over the years, it would be safe to say mine are probably a little healthier than hers but they still remind me of mummy. This is one of those recipes for me that can't really go wrong and you can use lots of different things in. I really love that they are so fruity and have barely any flour.

Here you go!
3 ripe bananas
1 or 2 apples
1/2 cup milk
1 lemon
3 eggs
vanilla esssence
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tspn baking powder
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon

Mash bananas and grate apples (i leave the skin on), grate lemon rind (just the yellow) of about half the lemon, set some of the juice aside. Pour lemon juice into the milk, this turns it into buttermilk. Beat eggs until fluffy and add the fruit, buttermilk, vanilla essence and stir a little, sift in flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Fold gently until just mixed. You may need to add a little more flour flour depending on how the mixture looks, it should be quite liquidy but not tooo much, you'll know.
Cook with a little olive oil in a big pan, i usually fit about 3 or 4 in at a time.

Serve with maple syrup, berries, yogurt (or naughty cream), bacon. They are lovely! X


Luckily i got a shot of this lone pancake before my husband ate them all... he got very impatient waiting for me to take the photo while he was trying to eat it xx

No comments:

Post a Comment